In 1593, Guiseppe Pomodoro Pane invented an Italian pie made of a flat bread with a spicy tomato paste. In 1476, a Native American whose name loosely translates to Running Deer accidently dropped an ear of corn into the fire, creating the first popped corn. In 1972, history came together when Erma Crocker (no relation to Betty) needed an afternoon snack for her rowdy group of kids.
The cupboards were looking kind of bare, but the enterprising Erma threw together some Italian spices and popcorn creating the savory and satisfying pizza popcorn. The above facts may or may not be true, but what is true is that pizza flavored popcorn is an awesome snack.
There are several variations on this classic taste, you can use melted butter or olive oil. You can drizzle the sauce over the popped corn or warm it in the oven in a baking dish. The most important thing is to get the right combination of Italian spices for that familiar pizza flavor.
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil or Melted Butter
- 1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 10 Cups popped popcorn
- Pop your corn according to your preference
- Toss in large bowl with oil or melted butter
- Add remaining spices and toss again